Interceptive Orthodontic Services
If we discover an orthodontic problem in your child early on, the team at Smile Town North Delta will recommend minor corrective options or, if need be, refer you to an orthodontist.
What is 'Interceptive Orthodontics'?
Interceptive orthodontics is the diagnosis and treatment teeth misalignment or orthodontics issues as before they have the opportunity to fully develop.
Early Detection is Key
In the past, typical orthodontic treatment usually didn't begin until the age 12-14, a point when permanent teeth are already coming in.
It was also once common practice for dentists to extract permanent teeth in order to correct the bite and to create enough space for the final phase of tooth movement.
Today, with phased interceptive orthodontics, treating children at much earlier ages (usually 7-11 yrs.) allows dentists to take advantage of continuing growth, meaning that extraction of permanent teeth can largely be avoided.
Younger patients tend to be more receptive to orthodontic treatment. And, since interceptive orthodontics means fewer teeth need to be extracted, it also allows for better end results.
Correction of Thumb Sucking & Pacifier Habits
Persistent thumb sucking and/or pacifier use habits can have a negative impact the development of the mouth, and may result in the following issues, all of which can be treated with interceptive orthodontics:
- A misshapen jawbone (which is still soft and pliable in children)
- Misaligned teeth
- Narrow dental arches
- Extreme tongue thrusting habits
- Protruding front teeth
- 'Open bites' that would require extensive orthodontic treatment to straighten once established
Other Issues that can be avoided through Interceptive Orthodontics
Other developmental issues that may require interceptive orthodontic treatment include:
- Constricted palate, which causes misalignment of back teeth (crossbite)
- Crowding of teeth
- Uneven development of the jaws
When is a Child a Candidate for Interceptive Orthodontics?
Before recommending any particular course of action, the Smile Town North Delta dentists will do an early evaluation to help determine if your child is a candidate for interceptive orthodontic treatment. If your child is a candidate, our team will walk you through all the options, and explain to you the impact they'll have on the development of your child's healthy smile.
Ultimately, the Smile Town North Delta Team's help, you'll be able to make a well-informed decision about the best route to take.
- Expansion of the upper jaw, eliminating a crossbite
- Expansion of the jaws to create space for crowded teeth
- Early removal of certain baby teeth to facilitate the eruption of permanent teeth
- Preserving space for permanent teeth if a baby tooth falls out too early
Advantages & Potential Results:
- Creating room for crowded, erupting teeth
- Improving facial symmetry by influencing jaw growth
- Reducing the risk of trauma to protruding front teeth
- Preserving space for unerupted teeth
- Expanding the palate in order to properly position back molars
- Reducing the need for tooth removal
- Reducing treatment time
Download the FREE Smile Town Children's Activity Book.
A great resource to help get your kids ready – and excited – about visiting the dentist.
Enter your email address below to get the FREE activity book and to receive our latest news and updates.